These homemade Southern cornbread muffins are moist, fluffy, and easy to make from scratch. This recipe yields a savory muffin with just enough sweet to complement the cornmeal! They’re best served fresh from the oven and are great with chili or as a Thanksgiving side dish!
When you think of classic Southern side dishes, cornbread is sure to be near the top of the list! That moist, crumbly, slightly sweet bread is the ideal companion for a hot bowl of turkey chili or a classic Southern meal of pulled pork and fried okra.
And in muffin form, they’re even easier to grab for a perfectly portioned serving – essential for potlucks.
Cooking for the holidays? No Thanksgiving spread is complete without a heaping basket of cornbread muffins!
I hadn’t made these in a while but it’s only because I forgot how stinkin’ easy they are to make! While I love a box of cornbread mix, it really takes no time at all to make cornbread muffins from scratch.
The batter takes about five minutes to throw together with the simple of instructions of don’t overmix and don’t overbake. Seriously, don’t overdo or overthink these and they’ll be just fine!
While I do love cornbread made with bacon grease, I’m much more likely to have corn oil and cooking spray in my pantry. Don’t have to cook bacon? That’s one fewer obstacle between you and a delicious golden cornbread muffin fresh from the oven.
These classic savory cornbread muffins have just enough sweetness to complement the cornmeal. They come out with super high domes, a lovely golden brown exterior, and are moist and airy when you break them open.
One of my coworkers swears they are delicious crumbled warm into a glass of milk. Have you ever heard of or done this? Let me know!
In the meantime, I’ll continue having mine warm, with a dollop of butter or a drizzle of honey. Yum!!!
Not sure what to cook with these? Enjoy your cornbread muffins with:
Easy Homemade Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup corn or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder to a large bowl and whisk to break up any clumps.
- Combine egg, milk, and oil in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into a greased muffin tin, filling each cup about halfway. Bake for 13-17 minutes or until toothpick stuck in the center comes out mostly clean. Don’t overbake!
- Serve warm with butter and a drizzle of honey, or as a side for chili.