Make lunchtime delicious with a ranch chicken salad wrap! Chicken salad is made with a homemade ranch seasoning blend and rolled with bacon, avocado, and tomato for an irresistible wrap sandwich you won’t forget!
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on the link and make a purchase, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Making chicken salad is my favorite way to add flavor and moisture to simply-cooked or leftover chicken. I love making a sandwich with my lemon tarragon shredded chicken salad or sun-dried tomato basil chicken salad on a flaky, buttery croissant.
But this bacon ranch chicken salad seemed to call for a wrap sandwich, rolled up with some extra ingredients that pair perfectly with the zesty ranch flavor.
Plus, I created this recipe while I was pregnant with my son and had gestational diabetes. Having to be so strict with food was totally new to me — everything I ate had to be high-protein and low-carb. Croissants were a complete no-go, but open-faced sandwiches and low-carb tortilla wraps kept my sandwich obsession satisfied in those challenging few months.
Chicken bacon ranch avocado wrap — it’s like the sandwich gets more appealing with each ingredient you name. I can feel my mouth watering right now! But instead of the sliced up grilled chicken and prepared ranch dressing you might imagine, I made a ranch-flavored finely-chopped chicken salad using a homemade ranch seasoning blend. It’s a unique take on a classic ingredient combination!
Ranch chicken salad wrap ingredients
For the bacon ranch chicken salad
For the wrap
How to make a ranch chicken salad wrap
This recipe makes two wrap sandwiches, but if you want more — and who could blame you! — you can always double the chicken salad and keep it in the fridge for the week. It makes a decadent lunch or an easy dinner, especially if the chicken salad is prepped and ready to go!
The chicken salad may be made up to a week in advance unless you’re using leftover chicken. In that case, you can refrigerate the chicken salad for up to a week from the date the chicken was made.
For the chicken salad
- Finely chop some cooked chicken, slice the green onion (green parts only), and cook the bacon. Cook four extra slices of bacon to make two wraps, and set these aside. Chop or crumble the remaining bacon to add into the chicken salad.
- Combine the herbs and spices to make the ranch seasoning blend.
- Mix the chicken with the mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, and ranch seasoning until thoroughly combined. Add in the bacon and green onion and mix.
For the wrap
- Top each tortilla with a cup of chicken salad. Form the chicken salad into a long strip in the middle of the tortilla, leaving an inch or so empty at each end.
- Arrange two strips of bacon, 1/4 avocado, and 3 slices of Roma tomato on top of the chicken salad.
- Roll your wrap and enjoy! For wrap-rolling tips, use the method below.
How to roll a wrap sandwich
Up until very recently, I had no idea how to properly roll a wrap sandwich. If you already roll wraps like a pro, skip past this section. But if you’re like me, a bumbling sandwich-eater holding your sandwich closed with one hand while trying desperately and ineffectively to keep the fillings in with the other hand… read on.
I used to try my hand at burrito-style wrapping, first folding the two ends over the filling and then rolling it up. But the result was too square for what I was going for (I wanted a long, skinny wrap), I’d manage to crack the tortilla, or the two ends would come unfolded as I rolled the tortilla, allowing the fillings to fall out.
More often, I’d roll the wrap into the right shape, but it wouldn’t stay put. I’d secure it with two or three toothpicks, cut it in half, and then the fillings would again inevitably fall out as I ate my pointy, pokey wrap.
Well no more! I finally watched a few videos and learned how to roll a wrap sandwich properly. Best of all, it’s easy, attractive, and secure. And all my fillings stay in.
Basically, you roll the wrap first and then tuck the ends in. With a little something creamy (like mayo) functioning as a glue to hold the edge closed.
Note: This works best with a fresh, soft tortilla. If they’re old and have dried out a bit, you may get some cracking or breakage as you roll your wrap.
Step by step: Wrap rolling
To roll a wrap sandwich, arrange the tortilla in front of you so the fillings lie in a line from left to right (1). Fold the edge nearest you completely over the fillings and a bit beyond — almost in half (2, 3). Press the end down past the fillings and pull back towards you a little to compress the fillings into a tight little package (4).
Spread a tiny bit of mayo on the opposite end of the tortilla to hold the wrap closed (5), and finish rolling the wrap (6).
Once the tortilla is wrapped into a tube around the fillings, push the ends of the tortilla inward, making three or four tucks on each end (7-9). This will help hold the wrap closed and keep the fillings from falling out.
Slice the wrap in half with a diagonal cut (10) and arrange beautifully on your plate (11).
Honestly it’s so easy I’m ashamed it took me this long to learn it. Hopefully these tips will help you, too, to roll snug, secure wraps you can eat single-handedly.
Tips & Tricks
- Make a double batch of chicken salad and cook extra bacon in advance to meal prep for easy sandwiches you can assemble in just a few minutes.
- These wraps are great for picnics: just wrap them in parchment and pack with an ice pack, some chips, and fruit!
- Serve with prepared ranch dressing for dipping, if you’d like.
What do you serve with a chicken salad wrap?
Chips (may I suggest ranch Doritos?), a side green salad, or some fresh fruit are perfect pairings for a chicken salad sandwich, especially this avocado bacon ranch chicken salad wrap!
More chicken salad recipes
More sandwich recipes you’ll love
- Traditional corned beef reuben sandwich on rye
- Smoked turkey, apple, and brie sandwich with bacon
- Hot roast beef sandwich with brie and tomato
- Gourmet turkey burgers with hollandaise sauce
- Proscuitto and brie sandwich with fig orange spread
Ranch Chicken Salad Wrap with Bacon and Avocado
For the Chicken Salad
- 6 slices bacon chopped or crumbled
- 2 cups cooked chicken finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning below
- 1/4 cup green onions thinly sliced, green parts only (2-3 green onions)
For the Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- 2 tsp dried minced onion
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
For the Wrap
- 2 burrito-sized tortillas or large wraps
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1 roma tomato sliced into at least 6 slices
For the chicken salad
- Cook 10 slices bacon (for the chicken salad and for the wrap) until crisp and drain on a paper towel. Set aside 4 pieces of bacon for the wraps, and crumble or chop the remaining 6 pieces into fairly small pieces.6 slices bacon, 4 slices bacon
- Dice cold or room temperature chicken, and then finely chop it with a chef's knife. You want to get the pieces quite small so the chicken salad has a more homogenous texture.2 cups cooked chicken
- In a small bowl, combine all seasonings in the homemade ranch seasoning blend (dried minced onion, dried parsley, dried chives, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried dill weed).2 tsp dried minced onion, 2 tsp dried parsley, 1 tsp dried chives, 3/4 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
- In a medium mixing bowl, add chopped chicken, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, and homemade ranch seasoning blend. Mix until thoroughly combined.2 cups cooked chicken, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Add bacon and green onions and mix again until thoroughly combined.1/4 cup green onions, 6 slices bacon
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate overnight for even fuller flavor! Serve on a wrap, sandwich, green salad, or crackers.
For the wraps
- Divide the chicken salad in half and top each tortilla with half the chicken salad. Spread the chicken salad into a thick line in the center of the tortilla, leaving an inch or two empty at each end.2 burrito-sized tortillas or large wraps
- Add two slices of bacon, 1/4 avocado (sliced), and three slices of roma tomato to each wrap.1/2 avocado, 1 roma tomato, 4 slices bacon
- Tightly roll each wrap, securing them closed with a bit of mayo. Tuck the ends of the tortillas in with three or four tucks per side. See blog post for more details on how to roll a wrap with step by step photos.
- Cut each wrap in half diagonally, serve, and enjoy!