Pan-roasted lemon garlic Parmesan Brussels sprouts with pine nuts are a simple, healthy side dish you can make on the stove in about 15 minutes.
One of Mike’s and my goals in the new year is to eat a little healthier. (I know, I know, us and the rest of the entire world – we’re not creative at all).
We haven’t been doing that great so far. Mike got a cold last weekend and then I got it and have been out for a couple of days, so we’ve defaulted to a few easy comfort-foody meals like penne and meatballs and tuna mac.
But it really shouldn’t be that difficult. I mean, having a meat, a side of veggies, and maybe a little side salad doesn’t take too much thought or preparation.
I made these lemon garlic Parmesan Brussels sprouts to go with the crispy baked chicken thighs from last week and it was a tasty, filling dinner that didn’t take too much effort.
Lest you think a simple side of veggies is boring, roasting or blackening vegetables is a sure way to bring out the flavor. I love Brussels sprouts, especially when they get all brown on the outside. Since I was baking chicken to go with these, I just roasted these in a pan on the stove while the chicken was cooking.
I know Brussels sprouts can be one of those love-hate vegetables, but serving them roasted — blackened, but not overcooked — does wonders for changing minds of those who dislike the vegetable.
The key to getting that nice blackened outside when cooking veggies on the stove instead of in the oven is to leave them alone. The less you stir them, the more they’ll get that nice browned, caramelized outside. That’s why my recipe says not to stir them for the first five minutes of cooking them.
Lemon, garlic, and Parmesan cheese are a classic combo that go well with almost any green veggie, and the added pine nuts in the Brussels sprouts added a little interest and texture. Just add them to the pan a couple minutes before you finish cooking the Brussels sprouts to toast them without burning them.
Do you have strong feelings for or against Brussels sprouts? Tell me in the comments!
Pan-Roasted Lemon Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts, cut side down, in a single layer, and sprinkle tops with kosher salt and pepper. Do not stir for about 5 minutes or until undersides of sprouts are browned.
- Flip Brussels sprouts and cook an additional 5 minutes or until outer leaves are partially browned and sprouts are mostly cooked through.
- Add garlic, lemon juice, and pine nuts, and cook until garlic is fragrant and pine nuts are lightly toasted. Remove from heat and add Parmesan cheese.